Get the flavors of butter chicken without any butter. This Low Fat Butter Chicken recipe is delicious and gently spiced made with low-fat coconut milk and fat free cottage cheese instead of cream, making it a lighter alternative to the classic. Mop it all up with basmati rice and some salad for a delicious homemade classic curry.
Butter Chicken without any Butter
* 4-5 chicken fillets cut into cubes
* 1 onion chopped
* 1 tsp whole cumin
* 2 tsp garlic paste
* 1 tsp ginger
* 2 tomatoes crushed
* Salt to taste
* 2 tsp red chilli or more if you want it really spicy
* 2 tsp Raj tikka masala (mine is from London) or any tikka masala spice powder you have
* 1/4 tsp coriander powder
* 1/4 tsp garam masala
* 1/4 tsp turmeric
* 3-4 green chillies chopped
* Fresh coriander for garnish
* 1/2 tin Woolworths light coconut milk
* 2 tbsp of fat free cottage cheese or fat free cottage cheese with sweet chili sauce (spar)
* 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Take a pot and put 1 tbsp of olive oil, add the onion and whole cumin. Let the onions soften and change to a light brown in colour.
2. Add in the tomatoes, spices, ginger, garlic and chopped green chili and let it simmer for a few mins on low heat. Let the tomatoes absorb the spices and reduce down.
3. Then add the chicken cubes and let the chicken cook until the water is reduced.
4. Pour in the coconut milk and bring the butter chicken to a boil slowly on a low heat. Leave to simmer for 5-7mins. If it thickens up too much add in a 1/3 cup water.
5. Switch of the curry and let it cool down then add in the fat free cottage cheese.
6. Garnish the butter chicken with coriander before serving.
7. Best served with rice or roti and a green salad.