The other day I bought a jar of pesto sauce from @woolworths_sa and I kept thinking of ways of using it. My favorite with this pesto is replicating a dish that I thoroughly enjoy in London @pizzaexpress, the garlic bread and tomato and pesto bruschetta. I however needed to make the same sort of thing but low carb so that it is friendly for the meal 5 of @shazeats_mandysway. Aubergines and mushrooms are most versatile to use instead of bread based dishes and in this particular one the aubergines worked really well.
I paired the Aubergine Pesto Bruschetta with a homemade, hearty Minestrone Soup keeping in align with the Italian theme.
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 small onion, chopped
* ¼ cup courgette, chopped
* ½ cup frozen cut green beans
* ¼ cup Cabbage , shredded
* 1/4 cup corn
* 1/4 cup mixed peppers cubed
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 4 cups vegetable stock( 2 veg stock cubes in water works well)
* 1 chicken fillet cubed
* 1/2 can Cannellini beans
* ½ Cup diced tomatoes
* ½ cup carrots, chopped
* 2 Tsp dry parsley,
* 1 tsp. dried oregano
* 1 tsp. salt
* ½ tsp. black pepper
* 1 chopped chilli
* ½ tsp. dried basil
* ¼ tsp. dried thyme
* 1½ cups hot water
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat and saute all the veg and chicken together.
2. Then add vegetable stock, diced tomatoes and beans, water and spices. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, allowing soup to simmer for about 30 minutes. Enjoy !!!
Aubergine Pesto Bruschetta
* 1 medium Aubergine cut into 1/4-inch slices
* 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
* 8 baby tomatoes, seeded and chopped
* Cooked salt and pepper chicken cubes
* 1 red onion sliced
* 1 tbsp Basil pesto
* 1/4 cup of fat free feta
* Balsamic vinegar
1. Place eggplant slices in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and gently toss.
2. Let stand about 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
3. Coat both sides of each slice with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Place on a tray and bake at 180 degrees for 20 mins.
5. Meanwhile take the red onions, cooked chicken and tomatoes and mix with @woolworths_sa basil pesto.
6. Take the Aubergine out and top with the pesto mixture and crumbled feta and top and dash of balsamic vinegar and bake for another 10 mins.
7. Tastes delicious on the side with the minestrone soup!!!!!