Summertime means it’s Braii time. Everyone’s favorite is always a juicy succulent burger as an option. However, a burger can be built up with all the things that are full of fat like mayo and eaten with sides that aren’t healthy choices like a good size of fried chips or creamy cold pastas. I’ve scoped out all sorts of healthy options to grill up. These healthier choices will fill your burgery needs all summer long.
Whatever type of burger you make, keep these things in mind to amp up the flavor and health benefits of your meal.
* Use lean cuts of meat, it doesn’t have to be beef mince. Try chicken fillets, chicken mince, fillet steak, grilled fish or a vegetarian chickpea patty.
* Swap fat free cottage cheese or smashed avocado in place of mayo for a healthier spread.
* Use whole-wheat buns instead of white if having the burger for lunch.
* Choose healthy spreads and condiments that are @shazeats_mandysway friendly. Make a homemade salsa or tomato chutney or use some of our favorites: Dijon mustard, ketchup, sweet chili sauce.
* Use fat free feta as your cheese of choice
* If you are having your burger at night swap the bun for a burger in a lettuce wrap, on top of a salad, or even between two slices of courgette, aubergine or mushrooms.
* Sneak an extra serving of veggies. Serve your burger with healthy sides. Butternut and stir fry veg. Sweet potato air fry chips. Top with grilled onions and mushrooms. Serve your burger with a good healthy green salad or full it with spinach leaves, lettuce and cucumbers.
Add your own creative toppings of choice and fresh veggies to the usual between-the-bun basics that will taste anything but boring. Build your own better burger and give it a summer makeover!!!!