There is nothing like a fresh scone with your morning coffee or afternoon tea. These Spelt and Qunioa Scones from Planet Organic, are made with warm and comforting spelt flour, quinoa and some currents for a satisfying treat. When in London have tea and scones.
Why use Spelt and Quinoa?
Spelt is a grain better for the digestive system than regular wheat and often those with digestive issues with wheat are able to tolerate spelt. It’s a good source of protein as it has around 20% more protein + up to 65% more amino acids than traditional wheat flours. Wholemeal spelt is good source of fibre, so it can help keep you regular and help in lowering cholesterol. Wholemeal and plain spelt flours combined with quinoa, gives the scones a wholesome nutty flavour with a crunchy texture.
The recipes at Planet Organic are closely guarded but the recipe below is a popular one from the Le Pain Quotidien. Chef and founder Alain Coumont has shared this signature spelt and quinoa scones recipe so that you can enjoy a healthy slice of Le Pain Quotidien at home.
Ingredients: – 62g spelt flour
– 148g plain flour
– 24g quinoa
– 40g currants
– 32g sliced almonds
– 10g baking powder
– 2g salt
– 25g sugar
– 82g unsalted butter
– 20g whole egg
– 100ml full fat milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a bowl combine the spelt and plain flour, quinoa, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. Cut butter into cubes. Add to dry mixture and mix until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Add currants and almonds. Mix just to incorporate.
5. Combine eggs and milk.
6. Add to mixture and mix just to combine. Do not over mix.
7. Divide the dough into four portions.
8. Roll out the dough.
9. Put the dough on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
10. Glaze with egg wash.
11. Bake for 20 minutes at 180°C.
#meal2 #meal4 #snacks #scones #treats #qunioa #speltflour #currants #healthychoices #instahealth #planet #organic #planetorganic #wholesome #nutritious #balancednotclean #fresh #baked #tastetestingtraveller #shazeats #mandysway