I’ve always loved a good pie however they are not of the most healthy of choices. I’m also a great fan of Joe Wicks, The Body Coach and his style of cooking. It’s not super clean but like @shazeats_mandysway promotes wholesome home cooking. I was very excited when I found a pie recipe in his book using phyllo pastry rather then puff. My filling recipe is rather different from Joes but the use of phyllo instead of puff is a clever way to include pie in your @shazeats_mandysway meal plan.
Why phyllo and not Puff pastry?
About a third of puff and shortcrust pastry is fat, and if it’s made with butter or palm oil, it contains more saturated fat than if it’s made with unsaturated fats such as sunflower spread.
Phyllo pastry can have just 3.1g of fat per 100g and is low in saturated fat. It does have a different texture from shortcrust or flaky pastry and you need to use it differently, but it gives a lovely, crunchy crust and looks impressive in small tarts with savoury or sweet fillings.
3 chicken fillets cut into cubes
1 tsp garlic
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
1/2 onion chopped
1 carrot thickly sliced and cut in half
1/2 punnet mushrooms sliced
1/4 red pepper chunks
2 courgette thickly sliced
1 green chili chopped
3 yellow narrows cut into quarters
1 cup fat free milk
2 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp Fat free cottage cheese
2 sheets phyllo pastry
Olive oil spray and cook
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Beside the onions in 1 tbsps olive oil.
2. Add the chicken, garlic, salt, pepper, green chili and lemon juice.
3. Cook the chicken for 5-6mins but don’t dry out. Leave some water.
4. Add all the veg and close the pot and steam for 4-5 mins
5. Mix the corn flour with 1 cup milk and then add to the chicken mixture. The chicken and veg will be saucy and thicken up. If it’s too thick add a bit more water.
6. Turn off the heat and let the chicken mixture cool down to room temperature and add 1 tbsp of fat free cottage cheese.
7. Place mixture into an oven dish.
8. Then roughly scrunch up the phyllo pastry sheets and sit them up top of the mixture. Spray with olive oil spray and cook
9. Place the pie into a preheated oven set at 180 degrees for 15 mins or until the mixture is hot and the pastry is brown.
10. Serve with a side salad and enjoy !!!
#joewicks #inspired #chickenpie #thebodycoach #wholesome #phyllo #pastry #homecooking #pie #comfort #food #recipedeveloper #instagood #instahealth #cook #allday #recipe #books #learn #educate #neverstop #followyourdreams #dreambig #live #life #healthychoices #sustainable #lifestyle #healthylifestyle #shazeats #mandysway