A light and healthier version of a rich and comforting classic Greek dish.
* 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1cm slices
* 400 g chicken mince
* 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
* 425 g can crushed tomatoes
* 1 tbs no-added-salt tomato paste
* 1 bay leaf
* olive or canola oil spray
* 1 tbs parsley, chopped (optional)
* 1 1/4 cups fat free milk
* 1 1/2 tbs plain flour
* Garlic flakes * Salt and pepper to taste * pinch cayenne pepper
* pinch ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
2. Sprinkle eggplant with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
3. Heat onion and garlic until softened.
4. Add the mince and cook through and then add carrot, tomatoes, tomato paste and bay leaf, cover and simmer for 15–20 minutes.
5. Heat the grill. Rinse eggplant slices with water and pat dry with paper towels. Spray eggplant lightly with oil and grill until golden on each side.
6. In a saucepan, mix half a cup of milk with flour until smooth. Stir in remaining milk. Cook, stirring, over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir through garlic flakes, cayenne pepper, nutmeg and salt and pepper.
7. Pour the white sauce at the bottom of the dish, lay half the eggplant, cover with half the meat sauce. Repeat like a lasagne. Top with mixed herbs and fat free feta.
8. Pour over dish and bake for 40–45 minutes until golden brown.
9. Sprinkle the chopped parsley, if using, over the top before serving.
10. Serve with a green salad with a balsamic and olive oil drizzle.
Little obsessed with eggplants at the moment 🍆 🍆 🍆
#meal5 #dinner #carbclever #greek #mousaka #eggplant #mince #chicken #whitesauce #fatfreefeta #layer #greeksalad #balsamic #oliveoil #dressing #classic #rich #creamy #lighter #healthier #sogood #flavorsoftheworld #greeknight #greekfood #greekmoussaka #greekclassics #tastesogood #shazeats #mandysway