Chicken and Spinach Curry is a comforting, traditional Pakistani dish. In London it would be one of my favorite dishes to order at popular Pakistani restaurants. However, in restaurants the dish is very high in fat, often cooked in lots of ghee and fresh cream is added in amorously so that it really becomes a loving delight to eat. This recipe is proper ‘Popeye The Sailor’ food as I call it to my family. It’s protein packed and nutrient packed at the same time. A good way to get in your greens and enjoy a dish which is rich in iron. Palak Murgh is a wonderful blend of chicken curry and spinach. Serve this tasty dish with roti or rice.
*Chicken in curry pieces 900g * 1 kilo Spinach Fresh * 2 Tomatoes – Medium sized (make a puree with 2 green chilies)
* 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Fresh Paste – (heaped) * 1 tsp Mustard Seeds – * 4 - 5 Chilies Dried Whole - *1/4 tsp turmeric powder * 2 tsp Cumin powder * 2 tsp Coriander powder * 2 tsp Chili powder * 2 tbsp fat free yoghurt
* 2 tsp Salt * 1 Tbsp Olive oil
1. Wash the spinach and steam it in a large pan. Once steamed, puree it with the hand blender. Put aside.
2. Heat the oil and add ginger garlic paste to it. Cook till its changes color.
3. Add mustard seeds to it. Let it cook for a minute till you can smell them. Add the dried red chilies and cook for 10 secs. Add a dash of water to stop it from burning
4. Add turmeric, cumin and coriander. Cook for 30 sec.
5. Add chicken and cook for 5 -7 mins till it completely changes color.
6. Add tomatoes, yoghurt, salt and crushed chilies and cook till the water dries.
7. Now add pureed spinach. Cook till the water dries and the little oil comes out on the side.
#meal3 #lunch #palakmurgh #chickenandspinach #curry #spices #cumin #corriander #tumeric #greenchili #redchili #rice #roti #traditional #comfort #popeye #food #ironrich #proteinpacked #fuelyourbody #shazeats #mandysway