I love Figs and they are a great source of fibre and several minerals and vitamins such as calcium, magnesium, manganese, potassium, copper, vitamin K and vitamin B6 amongst other nutrients. They are naturally sweet and a perfect addition to your breakfast.
A healthy breakfast is necessary to raise the body’s energy levels and to restore the blood glucose levels to normal after the overnight fast.
Skipping breakfast can have a negative impact and increase the risk of gaining excess weight because in general, people skipping breakfast tend to eat more at lunch or to snack all day.
Personally I like to have fruits, such as figs when they are in season, as part of my breakfast to help me keep full & energized during the morning.
I have prepared these 3 recipes with fresh figs for breakfast: “Protein Oats with fresh figs”, “French Protein Rye Toast with fresh figs and fat free cottage cheese” and “Fresh figs with yogurt”.
These healthy and nutritious recipes with fresh figs are yours below. Enjoy!
Protein Oats with Fresh Figs
* 1/2 cup rolled oats
* 1 cup fat free milk
* 1 tbsp ISO Whey Vanilla Protein
* 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
* 2 Fresh figs, thinly sliced
* 2 tsp honey
* 2 tsp chopped pistachio nuts
1. Cook the rolled oats, with milk in a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a boil.
2. When cooked mix in the whey protein and the cinnamon.
4. Serve hot topped with the fresh figs, pistachios and a drizzle of honey.
Protein French Toast topped with Fresh Figs, Honey and Fat Free Cottage Cheese
* 5 slices of @woolworths_sa Soft Rye Bread
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup fat free milk
* 1 tbsp Vanilla Whey Protein
* 1/4 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 Cup fat free cottage cheese
* 4 Fresh figs, cut into quarters
* 2 tsp honey
1. Whisk up the egg, whey protein, milk and cinnamon. Dip the bread, spray and cook and dry fry in a non-stick frying pan until golden.
2. Layer French Toast in a plate drizzle the honey and make quenelles of fat free cottage cheese.
3. Top with the fresh figs.
Fresh Figs with Yogurt
* 1 cup fat free yogurt
* 1 tbsp ISO Vanilla Whey Protein
* 4 Fresh figs, thinly sliced
* 1/4 cup Natures Choice Sugar Free Granola
* 1 tsp honey
1. Mix the natural yogurtin a small dish with the whey protein and top with the fresh figs, the granola and a bit of honey.