‘Machan’ in Delhi, is a multi cuisine eatery with an unusual safari decor. Machan offers a wide a la carte menu, comprising Southeast Asian and contemporary western cuisine, popular Indian dishes and a variety of sandwiches, pastas and refreshing salads. For lunch, the buffet offers a clever selection of international dishes with innovative salads and desserts. I had an arugula and orange quinoa salad and a courgette risotto.
* 3 ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
* 1 onion finely chopped * 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
* 350g risotto rice * 1 tsp chopped rosemary
* 1½ l hot vegetable stock
* 3 courgettes finely diced
* 140g peas fresh or frozen
* large handful of basil lightly torn
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the onion and garlic for 5 mins until the onion has softened. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 mins until softened and pulpy, then add the rice and rosemary.
2. Pour in half the stock and leave to cook for 10 mins or until the liquid has evaporated, stirring from time to time. Add the rest of the stock, then continue to cook for a further 5 mins.
3. Stir in the courgettes and peas, then cook for another 5 mins or so, stirring until the rice is tender, but the mixture is still a bit saucy. Season with plenty of black pepper, then add the basil and stir until wilted. Enjoy.
Arugula, Orange and Quinoa Salad
3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 large orange
2 cups of arugula or spinach
1. Prepare the Quinoa, bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 12 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the heat and set aside to cool.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the orange juice, apple cider vinegar, extra-virgin olive, balsamic vinegar and garlic. Taste and salt as necessary.
3. Peel the orange and cut into segments.
4. To assemble the salad, place the cooled quinoa in a large bowl and toss with dressing. Add the orange segments and arugula or spinach and toss.