The Holy Prophet (saw), amongst all other foods, liked pumpkin. (Tirmidhi)
I have found many narrations informing me that the Prophet Muhammed SAW enjoyed pumpkin in a broth or a soup with slices of meat and bread made of barley. I looked at many old and new recipes from the Middle East and then finally settled in creating a version that suited me best.
Pumpkin, Barley and Beef Soup
2 tbsp olive oil
300g beef cubes
1 red onion sliced
1 fennel diced
2 carrots sliced
1 long celery stalk sliced
1/4 cup chopped Parsley
2 cloves garlic crushed
250g chopped pumpkin
2 tbsps Worcester Sauce
3 tbsps Woolworths Moroccan spice
Salt and pepper
1/.4 cup barley
1.5 liters of vegetable stock ( Woolworths granules)
2 tbsp tomato purée
1. Mix the beef cubes with the Moroccan spice.
2. Heat the oil a large deep pot and add the beef and brown the meat.
3. Remove the beef from the pan and keep aside.
4. In the same pot add all the veg except the pumpkin with some salt and pepper to taste and cook for 10 mins. If it looks too dry add water.
3. Then add the Worcester sauce and the tomato purée and cook for another minute.
4. Add back the meat then add the barley and chopped pumpkin.
5. Top with vegetable stock and let it cook for an hour on low heat until the meat is tender and soft.
6. If the soup looks too thick then add more hot water to loosen up. As the soup sits the barley becomes more and more fuller. Add water to loosen it up.
7. Garnish with parsley when serving.
This soup is hot, hearty and wholesome a complete meal in itself. Although not completely like the authentic recipe, but having barley, meat and pumpkin like the Prophet SAW enjoyed in a meal is nothing more then just good.
Benefits of Eating Pumpkin:
Pumpkin lowers the risk of prostate cancer, protects against swelling of joints, lessens the wrinkles on the face, stimulates the function of kidneys.
#iftaar #ramadhan2018 #propheticfoods #propheticinspired #prophetfavourite #pictureoftheday #soup #pumpkinsoup #meat #barley #nutrientpacked #hearty #wholesome #warm #moorish #THEsavouryREVOLUTION #delicious #goodness #moderation #allaboutbalance #shaz