This Phyllo Sweet Potato Chana Chaat, is crunchy, spicy, tangy, sweet and tantalizingly delicious. This recipe uses boiled sweet potatoes and white chickpeas making it protein packed. It’s delicious and a healthier take on a popular Indian street food dish as there is no fried component and fat levels are controlled.
This recipe makes 24 cups
Ingredients -8 phyllo pastry sheets -olive oil -spray and cook - 3 small sweet potatoes cubed and boiled -1 tin chickpeas - 1/2 red onion chopped -1/2 cup corriander chopped - 2 green chilies sliced - 1 tsp curry leaves -1/2 tsp mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp whole cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp tumeric - 1 tsp chili powder - 1 cup pomegranate -1/2 cup tamarind chutney diluted with water
- 3/4 cup fat free yoghurt mixed with 1/2 tsp salt and diluted with water just to loosen
1. Phyllo Cups Crunch for the Chaat
Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Place a sheet of phyllo dough on parchment paper. Lightly spray with oil, then place another sheet on top. Repeat layering until you have 4 sheets stacked up. Using a sharp knife, cut the stack into 12 equal pieces.
2. Press each piece into the cups of a muffin tin.
3. Bake for about 13-15 minutes (for regular muffin tin size), or until golden brown. Keep an eye on the oven to make sure they don't burn. Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes then remove from tin. Your phyllo cups are ready to be used! Repeat the process for another 12 cups.
Build it up:
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil and temper curry leaves, cumin, mustard seeds.
2. Add the sweet potatoes and chickpeas.
3. Add the tumeric, chili powder and salt and heat through.
4. Fill the phyllo cups with mixture.
5. Top with yoghurt
6. Then with Tamarind/Ambli chutney
7. Add the red onion, pomegranates, sliced green chili and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
8. A real crowd pleaser and a dish for parties and entertaining guests and keeping in mind how to control the calories. Everything counts !!!
#indianstreetfood #sweet #salty #savoury #crunchy #spicy #recipeoftheday #photooftheday #fooddemo #salaammedia #cooking4acause #cookoff #foodie #food #instafood #southafrica #instasa #shazeats #mandysway