I finally ended my time in South Africa in the most befitting way by cooking my last supper there with a South African Biryani. My family and I moved back home to London a few weeks ago. I felt little overwhelmed with the move again especially in the time of Covid and felt it was best announced when I was settled. I’m enjoying my life back in London but melting in the heatwave. Never experienced such heat before, not even in Africa !!!
Jazakallah for all the support and love from my South African following but do follow my shenanigans in London.
In the meanwhile enjoy this super speedy easy mutton biryani a comforting Indian classic bursting full of aromatic spices using the @thehousewivespantry It will go down a storm with the entire family.
1kg mutton in curry pieces
1 Biryani Marinade @thehousewivespantry
1 cup buttermilk @inkomazi_sa
1/2 tsp saffron
1/2 tsp yellow food colouring mixed 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup fried onion
5 green chilies
2 tbsp melted ghee or olive oil
4 medium potatoes cut in half fried or air fried
3 cup par boiled rice (bring the rice to a boil and strain)
1 cup boiled Masoor dhal cook till aldente 15 mins
1 tbsp ghee
1. Wash the meat. Pour the marinade over the meat, the buttermilk , fried onions, saffron and food colouring. It is important to marinate the meat overnight as this will break down the fibers in the meat and tenderize it.
2. The next day, take a large pot add the melted ghee or olive oil.
3. Layer with 3/4 cup rice and 1/2 cup masoor.
4. Top with meat. Take 3/4 cup of water and make sure to gather up any left over marinade in the basin and pour over the meat.
5. Layer with whole chilis, the left over masoor dhal and top with air fried potatoes.
6. Now add the left over rice, then garnish with fried onions, coriander and drizzle the ghee on the top.
7. Put the pot onto the stove and cook on low- medium heat for 20-25 mins until you hear a sizzle.
8. Take the pot and add into a preheated oven at 180 degrees and leave in the oven for 1.5 hours or until the meat is tender.
9. Serve with raita, salad and popadoms and enjoy!!